Friday, August 3, 2007

31 and counting

So, according to my pal Kelly, I am now in my 3os. I suppose I haven't given it much thought. In fact, when my dad called and said "Tomorrow is your big day," I literally had to search the mental calendar. I was sure I had forgotten some commitment that I had. I guess that is the hallmark of getting older - you forget your own birthday. Granted I did have a project due for my neuropsych class so I've been a bit distracted.

I started my big day at 6 a.m. researching the side effects of Risperdal (an antipsychotic). Maddie got up at 6:30 (a rarity for my kid who usually sleeps until 9 or 10) to say happy birthday. She was so excited to celebrate. After working on the project and washing Maddie's wagon (what she wanted to do), we waited for the Directv people. After that, Lindsey and her crew came down for dinner. Too fun. Maddie went home with the Driscoll clan giving me two days without kid. Given that I know very few people in the area, I've spent the time painting the house and watching the Independent Film Channel - love those totally risque movies I've never heard of.

So now, it's 1:15 a.m., I'm covered in paint and buzzed from two glasses of shiraz. The shiraz came first, the paint came second. I can only imagine what my downstairs bath will look like tomorrow. So far, the 31st birthday doesn't feel all that different from the 21st - except I'm not crying in the parking lot of Holly Park for no apparent reason.

Maybe Kelly is right - the 30s ARE the new 20s.

1 comment:

the swineharts said...

love it, you crack me up!!