Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Goodbye summer ... And take the heat with you

It's official. Summer is over. Maddie started third grade yesterday.

Ah, third grade. I was just writing to a friend from London about it - (Angie Moore for those from London. She told a great story about how she made fake free breakfast and lunch tickets so that she could keep her cash for snacks after school - until she got caught several weeks later.) I remember that third grade was the year that I realized that teachers are actually people not just fixtures of the school. I had Miss Herman. I thought she was so cool. She wore tons of makeup and jacked her hair up to Jesus. Gotta love the 80s. I remember finding her cigarettes on the floor by her desk. It was then that I realized she wasn't just part of the classroom.

So far, my kid seems to be enjoying third grade. She likes her teacher "about the same as Miss Howry," which, from my kid, is like saying the woman walks on water. She seems to have adjusted to the new after-school care situation. Her music teacher is "soooooo funny." She gets to check out THREE books at the "very cool" library this year (I guess age does have its privileges). No new friends yet, but Maddie does take awhile to warm up to people, so I'm sure in the next few weeks I'll be hearing about her new best friend.

As for me, I'm studying my butt off. My neuropsych class end just in time for me to prepare for the "quizzes" they are planning on dropping on us during orientation. The study guides they provided are painful. One covers Personality Theory - that's right ALL of personality theory. AAAAAA! Well Toto, I guess we're not in Kent anymore. :)

No comments: