Monday, July 2, 2007

Goodbye Beargrass

Well, we've done it. We're in the new place. It is a beautiful house. Or at least it will be once the boxes are unpacked. Right now, we are living in Box City. Despite what seemed like a long prep period, the move happened quite quickly. Within a 10-day period, I was worried that the Beargrass house wouldn't sell, having a showing, getting an offer, negoitating the sale, closing, packing up and moving.

In the days that followed, things have been moving at warp speed. The new place is smaller in some areas - bedrooms, closets, baths. I am squeezing us in, which means installing lots of storage and organization things. For those of you who have ever seen my handwork, you know what kind of week I've been having. Did I mention that the majority of the walls are white - WHITE! I need color. I've already painted one bathroom and have plans for most of the other wall space.

Now that I have a minute, I am reflecting on our old home.

Here are the things that I am happy to leave behind:
1. The HOA from Hell - I will not miss the Neighborhood Nazis and their crazy rules. For those left behind in the Village, keep fighting the good fight. Sean, isn't it time to hang the 4th of July lights?
2. My crabby neighbor - what kind of person turns the sprinkler on small children?
3. My great neighbors who, in their concern for me, know all my business. They knew who came and went and what they were there for - anyone blushing yet? ;)
4. The busted pavement of Stephens Road.
5. The constant construction of strip malls - Target AND Walmart are building in the area now.
6. Mowing the bowl shaped yard.
7. The wild "house" cats that my neighbors let run the street.

Here are the things that I will miss:
1. The memories of Kevin's last days in our home.
2. The gaggle of neighborhood girls who ran from house to house to house.
3. The look on Maddie's face as she came down the stairs on Christmas.
4. Laying in the hammock chatting with my best girl on a lazy day.
5. My fabulous backyard.
6. Stargazing on the front lawn with Maddie.
7. Painted walls.
8. Being close to friends and family.
9. Hearing the doorball and seeing little Will's face. I will always remember the first time he rode his bike over to our place all alone and how excited he was.
10. Playing ball in the front yard.

My heart is heavy as we start our life in the new place. I will miss our first home.

No comments: