Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cute Stories from Two Cuties

The winter has been interesting. So much has happened that I really haven't had time to write it all doen. I do have two stories that make me laugh just remembering them. So I thought I would share:

1. "I Healed Her Mom!"
Several weeks ago, I tweaked my knee while running. At first, it wasn't that bad. Just another sore muscle from running. By the end of the day - after sitting in class for hours - the achy muscle had become so painful that I was limping around. That night, I had some friends over including my friend Laura who just happens to be a real-life reiki. For those that don't know, a reiki is a healer that uses energy flow to make you feel better.

Given that my sore knee was now interferring with my ability to beat Maddie at Wii Boxing, I let Laura work her magic on me. At first, my knee just felt warm. By the next day, I was healed. I don't know how. All I know is she put her hands on my knee and the next day - no more limping.

Maddie was very impressed and the next day, while Laura was babysitting for me, Maddie suddenly came down with a sore knee. Laura "fixed" Maddie too.

The day after that, I picked Maddie up from daycare. When I got there, she was burst with excitement. As soon as I walked in, Maddie shouts, "I healed her mom. I fixed Regan's finger!" I looked over at her. Regan was sitting next to her in her little Catholic school uniform with a giant smile while holding up her newly healed finger. I would love to hear how Regan explained to her very Catholic mother how a little girl from day care who thinks she's a reiki healed her finger.

2. "Oh my God! They stole your cheer!"

This quarter, I had to present a psychoeducational piece to one of my classes. I worked on it over break and was very excited to be covering a therapy technique that is highly controversial and rarely taught at graduate training programs. It's called Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR). Basically, you make your patient's eyes move while talking about trauma to help reprogram the brain.

At Wright State, the interns are required to present on topics of clinical relevance in something called Grand Rounds. Every member of every class is expected to attend. The week before my presentation, the interns presented at Grand Rounds on EMDR. So basically, everyone heard my presentation the week before I was scheduled to give it.

So, after Grand Rounds, I was lamenting to my darling little sister. Lindsey loves many things in her life including cheerleading movies like Bring It On in which one cheerleading team steals anothers big cheer and performs it first. After I told her about the situation with my presentation, my beloved sister shouted, "Oh my God, they stole your cheer. It's just like Bring It On!"

No comments: